(click for list of helpful websites!)Before you begin your research and investigating the following questions about the Civil War, please fill out the K-W-L chart.
1.Who was the President of the Confederacy? (A.Abraham Lincoln B.Ulysses S. Grant C.Robert E.Lee D.Jefferson Davis)
2. Who was the President of the Union? (A.Abraham Lincoln B.Ulysses S. Grant C.Robert E.Lee D.Jefferson Davis)
3.The first slaves were brought to the (A.Jamestown B.Massacusetts C.Rhode Island) Colony by the Dutch.
4. Most slaves who worked in the fields of the South worked from (A.sunrise to suppertime B.breakfast to supper C.sunrise to sunset).
5. The abolitionists wanted to do away with slavery. They formed the (A.Freed Men B.National Antislavery C.Liberator)Society in 1833.
6. Under the Compromise of 1850, the state of (A.Utah B.New Mexico C.North California D.South California) came into the Union as a free state.
7. Under the Compromise of 1850, the south got a promise that Utah and New Mexico could (A.be free states B.decide for themselves if they wanted slavery or not C. be slave states).
8. The South got a new law called the (A.Runaway Slave Act B.Fugitive Slave Act) which said that any slaves escaping from the south to freedom in the north should be returned to their master.
9. Who wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin? (A.Harriet Tubman B.Frederick Douglass C.Sojourner Truth D.Harriet Beecher Stowe)
10. The main issue of the election for President in 1860 was (A.how many new states should be made B.whether to make a railroad from S. Louis to California C.slavery D.whether to print more U. S. dollars).
11. The first state to leave the Union was (A.South Carolina B.Mississippi C.Florida).
12. The Civil War begin in the state of (A.Virginia B.Pennsylvania C.South Carolina D. Mississippi).
13. What southern City was the Capitol of the Confederacy? (A.Richmond, Virginia B.Montgomery, Alabama C.Boston Massachusetts).
14. List just four reasons how the union (North) and the confederacy(South) were different? What were they fighting for?
15. Preview one diary entry (primary document) from a soldier. What type of feeling does the soldier relay about the war?
HIGHER LEVEL QUESTIONS:
1. Which side benefited more from the Compromise of 1850, the North or the South?
2. In 1850, most Northerners would never have dreamed they would be fighting a war against the South. Why did Northern public opinion change?
3. Some historians have claimed that the Mexican War was the first battle of the Civil War. Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. What effect did the Bleeding Kansas crisis have on the slavery debate in the years immediately before the war?
5. Compare and contrast Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis as wartime presidents. What challenges did they face and how did they overcome them? Who, in your opinion, was the better leader, and why?
6. What was Britain’s role in the Civil War?
7. What was the significance of the Emancipation Proclamation? What effect did it have on the North and on the South?
8. Preview one diary entry (primary document) from a soldier. What type of feeling does the soldier relay?
9. Which "Web-Based Resource" from the list did you find most helpful when researching the following topics? Did you find another resource on your own that was effective - please list it.
"The Civil War". Web. 5 Sept 2011. http://www.mce.k12tn.net/civil_war/civil_war.htm