STUDYING THE MEANING OF CULTURE and CULTURAL VARIATION
- Define the meaning of term culture and explain how material culture and nonmaterial culture differ.
- Identify and describe the basic components of culture.
- Describe cultural universals and explain why they exist.
- Explain what the terms ethnocentrism and cultural relativism mean.
- Identity factors that account for variations among and within cultures.
- Review Vocabulary Terms (Culture, Material and Non-Material Culture, Culture Relativism, Ethnocentrism)
- BLINK TEST (on paper) AND Implicit Association Test (on computer)
- Knowing your Classmates: Share Your Culture
- Choose a foreign culture or peoples. You will then focus on the cultural practice or belief that you find odd or unfamiliar within the group you choose.
1. Quickly model wikispaces editing and uploading.
2. Students (in pairs) will conduct research in the library and investigate an ethnicity group of their choosing.
The students will then find a foreign cultural practice or belief that they find odd or unfamiliar and then use cultural relativism to write a short paper analyzing the practice or belief.
Your group will design a wiki page.
Your page will contain the following information
- Name of culture
- List material culture – physical objects that people create and use (automobiles, clothing, utensils)
- List the language/dialect used in your culture
- List cultural practice or odd belief – describe
- Using cultural relativism explain the basic need that all societies must develop certain features to ensure their fulfillment.
Share information learned with class.