What is a “Falcon Friend”?
A Falcon Friend is someone that will be paired with a student with intellectual and /or developmental disabilities to help promote friendships with other middle school students and will serve as a positive role model for these students.
- Participate in a lunch bunch 1x/week
- Invited to be a buddy at Special Olympics with your Falcon Friend (starting in 2016)
- Participate in 9th period social enhancing activities 1x/week
- May be invited to attend outings with your Falcon Friend
- Participate in an end of the year picnic with your Falcon Friend
- Accompany Falcon Friend to assigned class (could be lunch bunch, 9th period, or an encore class)
- Assist with tasks assigned
- Engage the Falcon Friend in the task
- Help Falcon Friend interact with peers and classroom environment
- Participate in class as well
- Smile and be friendly.
- Focus on abilities NOT disabilities
- Assist by explaining what to do, rather than what NOT to do
- Make instructions simple and clear
- Look directly at your Falcon Friend, even if an adult is accompanying them
- Talk normally - NO kiddie talking
- Get to know your Falcon Friend
- Ask your Falcon Friend what they need help with
- Treat your Falcon Friend as the capable, competent peers they are
To Apply:1. Pick up an application from Mrs. McHugh in room 207 and submit it to Mrs. McHugh by September 28th, 2019.
- Mrs. Stacy McHugh - Room 207 (x2207) email@example.com